Law profession is a lucrative career in Japan. In case you plan to relocate your practice, this 2020 guide will direct you on how to get a work visa in Japan.

It is possible to have a law career in Japan as a foreigner or ex-pat. In case you plan to relocate your practice, this 2020 guide will direct you on how to get a work visa in Japan.

Here are the requirements for Japanese working visas and a few other things to remember.

Japanese Work Visa Requirements

Before knowing how to apply for a Japan visa, remember that specific requirements may vary from visa to visa. The general requirements include an offer of employment from a company in Japan, your passport, a visa application form, photograph, and a Certificate of Eligibility. Or if you’re looking for a tour guide through Japan, you’ll need a Hanshin Tourist Pass.

A Certificate of Eligibility is important and is issued by the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. You can submit your form in person at a Japanese consulate or Japanese embassy, or you can mail it. You will need a completed application form, a passport-size photograph, and a filled out and stamped return envelope.

Find out what additional documents you may need on the government’s website. When looking into how to get a work visa in Japan, keep track of the costs. Generally, a single-entry visa will be about $30 USD while a multiple-entry visa is $60 USD.

Obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility

Before entering Japan for work, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). That permits your legal right to enter the country — whether that be for work or another qualifying reason. Your next step is applying for a Japanese residence card (“green card”) once you arrive at one of Japan’s airports.

The type of Japanese working visas you’ll need will depend on the type of work that you do. Ex-pats can apply for nearly 30 different work and more long-term visas based on their job and reason for relocating to Japan. The length of time each visa allows an ex-pat to live in Japan varies on the visa you apply for, but no work visa is valid for longer than five years.

Specific Skilled Worker Visa vs Normal Work Visa

One can obtain a work visa as an artist, Business Manager, Engineer or Specialist in Humanities or International Services, Entertainer, Instructor, Intra-company Transferee, Journalist, Legal or Accounting Services, Medical Services, Nursing Care, Professor, Religious Activities, Researcher, Skilled Labor, or Technical Intern Training.

In addition, Japan’s government also allows foreign workers to apply for the specified skills visa. It allows them to enter Japan and fill employment gaps in particular labor sectors. There are two types of these Japanese visas:

The Specified Skills Visa 1-SSV1 requires applicants to pass a Japanese language test and technical exams. Their level of Japanese proficiency will be based on the job they’ll be working on. But they might still be required to pass up to the N4 level.

This visa is only valid for up to one year and is renewable for up to five. Workers cannot bring their families with them with this visa. This also only applies to skilled workers working within agriculture, materials processings, nursing care, and others.

The Specified Skills Visa 2-SSV2 can be renewed indefinitely and visa holders are allowed to bring their family into Japan. Currently, workers with the 1-SSV1 visa living and working in Japan can only obtain this visa after working at higher levels in their specialized field. This applies to all of the listed skilled workers listed above.

How to Get a Work Visa in Japan: Solved

Do you want to relocate to Japan or do you know someone who does? Learning how to get a work visa in Japan may feel overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be! Get yourself and others’ relocation going by bookmarking and sharing this article — you’ll be glad that you did!