If you've ever gone online in search for auto insurance quotes, you've probably noticed that the applications ask a lot of questions. Here is the answer to why they get so personal, and what types of information insurance companies know about you.
If you've ever heard of the term GAP insurance, you might be wondering what it is and whether or not you should purchase it. GAP insurance is a great thing to have when it is needed, but for many people it does not make financial sense.
Auto insurance specialists help many people each year get better car insurance. Before you search for auto insurance quotes yourself, find out if an auto insurance specialist could benefit you.
When it comes to auto insurance quotes, many people stick with the same company year after year. Although doing so can have some benefits, there also often comes a time when it makes more sense to look for a new insurance company.
Sticking with the same insurance company comes with some benefits. You often get a customer loyalty discount, you don't have to worry about doing anything other then continuing to pay the bill, and you are already familiar with the policy and the company. However, sometimes it is good to change insurance companies and shop around for auto insurance quotes.
The most obvious sign that it is time to change insurance companies is when your current company becomes too expensive. Although long-time customers often qualify for insurance discounts, you will still likely see an increase each year on your premium. Additionally, with time other companies might start to offer better discounts, lower prices, or better benefits. Many experts suggest shopping around for a new car insurance company around every 2 to 3 years.
Here are some other times it makes sense to shop around for new auto insurance quotes:
• You have recently purchased a home. Sometimes you can get insurance discounts if you bundle your auto and home insurance together.
• You have moved to another state. Different states have different rules for auto insurance, so it is likely that your rates could be different if you shop around in your new state. It is also possible that your old insurance company will not offer policies in your new state.
• You are trying to cut costs, fit a new budget, or just save money. Shopping around online is always a good idea to make sure you are getting the lowest prices and best discounts.
• You are buying a new car that comes with dealer incentives. Sometimes a dealership will offer you free car insurance for a certain amount of time once you purchase a car from them. Additionally, newer cars often come with cheaper insurance, and different makes and models will cost different amounts, so you will want to shop around again each time you get a new vehicle.
• You have recently gotten married. Being married oftentimes means you get an insurance discount, but also this will probably mean you will have two cars. If you have two cars you can look for multi-car policies, which are often discounted.
• You have recently retired or become a senior citizen. Insurance rates when you become a senior citizen. There are also discounts for having a long and good driving record, having a car that is not driven that often, and having a car that is driven by a single driver and has been maintained well.
• You just got a new job. Sometimes where you work or the type of job you have can get you an insurance discount. Also, some companies will offer low cost insurance to their employees.
Whether you change insurance companies or ultimately decide to stay where you are, it is always a good idea to get auto insurance quotes once a year in order to see what is available to you. The more quotes you get the better your chances of getting the best deal.